- Opportunity to host a Japanese exchange student
- 5/6 students learning about "Mottainai" culture
- Wanted: old t-shirts, plastic bottles, newspapers and catalogues
I spotted this poster in the window of my local post office! Please contact Ruth or Helen (below) as soon as possible if you would like to host a Japanese exchange student from 21st July to 10th August.
Students have been introduced to the Japanese term “Mottainai” and how it is used in Japanese culture to express a feeling of regret at wasting the intrinsic value of an object or resource. In English we might say “what a waste” or “don’t be wasteful”. Students will be immersed in Japanese language and culture while learning about sustainability and innovation in Japan.
Wanted: old, t-shirts, plastic bottles, newspapers and catalogues
While learning about mottainai culture, 5/6 students will participate in a variety of “upcycling” activities by giving old, broken or unwanted items a new life. Please bring in your old unwanted t-shirts (it doesn’t matter what size or condition they are in!), plastic bottles, newspapers and catalogues to be transformed into useful items and resources!
Activities will include making:
- reusable shopping bags out of old t-shirts,
- pencil cases and containers out of plastic bottles,
- Woven baskets out of newspapers and catalogues